These are for determining the mechanical properties of a ceramic material capable of withstanding severe stresses. They are generally run on finished products to check the quality of the manufacturing process.
They allow for :
- working out mechanical resistance while being flexed or compressed
- working out resistance to thermal shock
- characterization of material deformation by calculation of the YOUNG’s modulus (elastic modulus)
- statistical analysis on a material likelihood to break by the calculation of WEIBULL’s modulus
They are run by :
- mechanical test-bench with the ability to test 3 or 4 points bending test and compression tests.
- surface fissure and defect tests by dye penetration.